Why Choose WordPress?
How is a WordPress website better than a traditional website?
Nine times out of ten when a client comes to us wanting a new website (non-eCommerce) we design and build the website using WordPress, and the other one time out of ten we don’t use WordPress is when a customer specifically asks for their website to be on a different platform – and still then, we would recommend WordPress website. Why? Well here are 30 reasons why Word-press beats any traditionally built website hands down;
- Save Money – Gone are the days when you needed to pay a web designer to change some text and images on your website. With WordPress you can easily make the edits yourself whenever you want and save the money you would have paid the web designer for more important things. You can even add new pages on your own without needing any experience. Times are tight for everyone right now in the current economic climate and managing your own content for your website is a great way to contribute to saving costs.
- SEO Friendly - WordPress, straight out of the box, comes ready to embrace search engines. Its features and functions guide search engines like Google and Bing through your posts, pages, and categories to help the search engines crawl your site and gather the information they need to include your site within their database. You can also have your urls seo friendly and there are stacks of seo plugins to help get you that top ranking you are after.
- Consistency - No matter how many pages you add to your site, the page template format always displays the same which in turn is giving users more consistency and makes causes visitors less confusion.
- Greater Accessibility – Add content or make changes/fixes from any computer around the world with Internet access without the need for extra software or fixing firewall settings.
- Communication Speed – Since you can edit your own website, you don’t have to wait a couple of days, or even weeks, for a web designer to make those basic changes you required – you can change the content on your website immediately, therefore giving your visitors the most up-to-date and current information.
- Better Time Management – You can add posts to in your admin panel and then schedule those posts to publish on your site on whatever day and time you want. You could write a complete 8-week-icourse, for example, break it up into 8 different articles and have each article automatically post to your site at the same day and time each week for 8 weeks.
- Social Networking Friendly – WordPress lets you automatically integrate your blog posts with social media like Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin, instead of having to login to each one separately and make an update that you’ve just added content to your website.
- Engage with Current Media – Easily add audio and video to pages and posts.
- Improved Security – One of the myths “against” WordPress and other blogging software that use plugins or extensions (plugins/extensions are small add-on packages to enhance the capability of the blog software e.g a homepage slider to showcase images) is that hackers can hack into your site. But in fact, the exact opposite is true: If you have the right people involved from the start of your WordPress setup, your WordPress site can be hacker-proofed even more securely than a traditional website. Some might ask, “How can that be true?” Simply because there is an actual process to securing a WordPress installation. But, when do you ever hear designers or developers hacker-proofing traditional websites? There’s the difference!
- Inspiring – Participating by adding pages, posts, and managing your own content can becomes “fun” and “interesting”. When you see the results from your own efforts rather than just outsourcing everything, you become intrigued to add more content and see more results.
- Extremely Fast Learning Curve - Learning to edit and add new content, add new pages, make posts and add images is as easy (perhaps even easier some might say) than using MS Word. Figuring out these simple procedures on your own would only take a novice a maximum of a couple of hours. With an initial one-on-one training by an expert WordPress trainer (like we offer here at Vsion) all of these functions can be performed by you in under an hour.. even if you don’t have and design or programming experience. WordPress blog software has by miles, the easiest back-end to use and learn how to maintain content on your Web site.
- Automated Syndication – Blog posts can automatically be converted to RSS feeds and syndicated to blog directories and other blog websites.
- Easy Backup -With a backup plugin installed, you can backup your site with a click of a button, unlike traditional sites were you have to download all the files and folders from ftp and wait on the process.
- FREE Entry to Yahoo! Search Addition – When you submit your RSS feed manually to Yahoo! you don’t have to pay their $299 listing fee as your website will be indexed for free.
- You Control the Discussions – The “old school” way of communicating with visitors on traditional websites was to add a chat room or forum which constantly had to be monitored. Blog sites such as WordPress have now changed all of that. You begin the topic of discussion, then your visitors make comments to the discussion you started. But, the comments your visitors make can be approved by you before anyone else sees them on your site. This safes you the worry of wondering what spam people will be posting on your site.
- Current – Change your website’s appearance easily by swapping themes. Great function for temporary changes like holidays or seasons.
- Better Functionality with Lower Cost – Thousands of pre-written programs, called plugin, can increase the functionality of your blogging software, whereas traditional websites require everything to be programmed manually. To install plugins on WordPress is usually takes 3 clicks and it’s complete, instead of having to put scripts together and hard-code the code on traditional sites.
- Less Risk of Loss of Work – Any work you carry out in the back-end of WordPress is automatically saved as you type, even if you haven’t published your blog posts live to the web yet.
- Multi-User Capablity – WordPress offers multi-user capability so that larger companies with different departments can allow different scopes of access to different users. For example, a member from marketing might just want to add images to the About Us page – so you can limit their access to only enable editing on the About Us page, so that all other aspects of the site are kept safe.
- Free Upgrades – Unlike traditional website software like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash etc, all upgrades to WordPress blog software are completely free of charge. We can’t be bad to that now can we?
- Safety – Add images and media by uploading to the server within your chosen admin area instead of via the traditional ftp method were you run the risk of deleting important files or uploading to wrong directories and overwriting files that can’t be recovered again.
- 24-Hour Listing in Bing/MSN – Adding the RSS feed to Bing/MSN is the quickest way to have your site indexed and it is quite common for even new sites to appear on Msn and Bing within 24 hours using this approach.
- Mobile Readiness - You’ll be glad to know that there is no need to produce a second site just for mobile users (saving money again). WordPress automatically recognises if a person is viewing the site through a mobile device or a computer browser and configures the content to be viewed accordingly on either.
- WordPress is Always Evolving – You won’t get left in the dust with an outdated website, as WordPress is constantly improving and adding features to their software and when they release them, you can update your website, for free, with just a few clicks. Remember, since WordPress is an open source software it does remain quite advanced because the community developers are always creating the cutting edge tools to keep up-to-date with the advancement of online technology.
- Beautiful Themes – It is incredibly easy to get the look you are after with WordPress. Again, since it is open source, you’ll find thousands of free themes on the net that you can just download and install on your site with just a few clicks. For example, say you are looking for something more unique, venture on over to some of the premium theme sites and you can purchase a beautiful eye-catching theme usually for under £50, depending on what you are after. If you want a totally custom site however, that’s when you need a web designer to design and implement a theme for you.
- The speed – WordPress has the potential to run extremely quick. WPShout loads in roughly one and a half seconds and there are a couple of little tricks we use. The master “trick”, we like to call it, is to use W3 Total Cache. It’s an absolutely brilliant plugin which caches your site, therefore reducing the amount of “work” that has to be done each time somebody loads your site.
- Sell items -WordPress now also offers eCommerce plugins which you can install for free and start selling your items on your site.
- Support – If you do have and problems or issues, or maybe you want to add custom features, it is very easy to find support and developers who can help you. There are literally thousands of WordPress developers out there waiting to help – especially our local and professional team of WordPress Developers. Plus there are so many people writing about WordPress that help is literally a Google search away!
If you have been wondering how converting your traditional website would be of benefit to you and your business, then this post was made just for you! If you would like to find out more about converting your old website to a new WordPress website then get in touch with us today and a member of our WordPress team will get back to you within 24hrs.